Charles “Chas” Schoemaker, Jr.
Charles “Chas” Schoemaker, Jr.
Mediator—Arbitrator, Retired Civil Trial Attorney (ABOTA)
AWARD WINNING MEDIATOR
- Case Evaluation
Areas of ADR Experience
- General Civil Matters
- Personal Injury (Simple to catastrophic) Employment Matters
- Commercial disputes (consumer and inter-business) Homeowner Association issues
- Government Entity Claims and Litigation Americans with Disabilities Act disputes
- Real Estate (Commercial and residential)
Mediation provides an opportunity to resolve a dispute in a matter of hours, rather than languishing in the court system for months or even years. My ADR style is based upon a belief that the purpose of mediation is to assist the parties to find a resolution of their respective needs. My background and experience enable me to be either facilitative or evaluative as the circumstances require.
Education & ADR Training
- 1973 – B.A. Rutgers University
- 1978 – University of West Los Angeles, School of Law J.D.
- 2004 – Loyola School of Law, Conflict Resolution Training
- 2007 – Pepperdine University, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution “Mediating the Litigated Case”
- 2009 – Adult Resolutions and Mediation Services, Essentials of Elder Adult Mediation
- 2020 – Advanced Mediator Training: RCBA/STRAUS INSTITUTE
- 2020 – AOC Mediator Ethics On Line Training
- Current – Yearly continuing legal education seminars for ADR topics
My legal career as an attorney started at a firm that handled the defense of major injury and complex litigation cases for insured and self-insured clients. After leaving to start my own firm, I represented individuals, small businesses and public entities as plaintiffs in tort and commercial litigation. It was my privilege to represent one of the largest school districts in the country for thirty years. As an attorney, I have represented both plaintiffs and defendants. My litigation experience includes:
- general civil litigation
- business and contract disputes government tort liability
- real estate construction employment and personal injury matters of all levels for both the plaintiff and the defense.
I was an Associate Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (since retiring from active practice I have been an inactive member) and have an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell. My ADR experience started in the late 1980s as part of the Los Angeles Superior Court Arbitration Panel. My initial mediation training was Conflict Resolution Training at Loyola School of Law in 2004, after which I joined the ADR panel of the LASC. More and more of my time and practice became devoted to Alternative Dispute Resolution. Additional ADR training included the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University (2007) and Elder Adult Mediation Training from Adult Resolutions and Mediation Services (2009). Besides mediation cases through the LASC ADR program, I became involved with the Volunteer Settlement Officer Program, and then branched out to mediating cases in Riverside and San Bernardino. For the last few years I have been a full time mediator, and I now live and practice out of the Palm Springs area.
- Admitted, State Bar of California
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Riverside County Bar Association
- Desert Bar Association
- Southern California Mediation Association
- ADR Panel of the Riverside Superior Court
- Court of Appeal, 2nd District, Mediation Program
- Court of Appeal, 4th District, Mediation Program
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- California Arbitration & Mediation Services (CAMS) ADR Panel
- Mediation Certification Consortium of California: Certified Mediato
When not trying to resolve a dispute, I enjoy deep sea fishing, travel, golf and reading.
While growing up on the East Coast, I spent high school and college summers working at my father’s roofing business. Not long after my 1973 graduation from Rutgers University I became a California transplant and have been here ever since.
A Small Sampling of Cases Chas has mediated
Action by roofing contractor against building owner, project warranty, ongoing damages
Guarantor of note for failing adult care center and hospice defaults Alter ego complaint against shareholder of family business
Wage and hour dispute by warehouse worker, documentation issues. Employment related claims by nurse against employer hospital Wrongful termination and discrimination claims
- Probate / Family Dispute Issues
Three siblings quarreling over changes made by power of attorney to bequests two weeks prior to mother’s death
Younger sister and the widow of the older brother argue over disposition of deceased father’s estate Disputes between successors in family originated businesses
- Real Estate
Conflicting claims for ownership of church property House built on wrong block on wrong side of road
- Public entities / Government Claims Act
Senior citizen reporting for jury duty has serious residual injuries after trip at courthouse plaza Fire truck going Code 3 has accident in intersection
Slip and fall on crack in public sidewalk
- Americans with Disability Act
Effect of court approval for prior modifications made by business establishment for settlement of class-action suit, with regard to alleged other ADA violations
Violations alleged at family-run gas station
- Automobile and Personal Injury
Auto vs. bicycle, elderly driver causes catastrophic injuries to bicyclist, residual brain injuries
Under-insured motorist case by the policyholder after a successful claim on adverse driver’s policy limits Intoxicated passenger sustains severe injuries after falling off motorcycle driven by former boyfriend Multiple cases where nature and extent of injuries disputed by adverse party, familiarity with entire range of injuries associated with litigated cases, from soft tissue to serious and catastrophic injuries.
Trailer park resident manager has slip and fall, also claims retaliatory eviction and wrongful termination
Slip and fall on vomit in emergency room waiting area
Floor lamp falls and strikes customer in head at department store
- General Liability
Landlord, owner of rental premises, engaged in sexual activities with tenant’s minor daughter
Action alleging former significant other forged signature to line of credit, fraudulently obtaining cash advances
Action against employer of youth counselor on behalf of a seven-year-old alleging abuse